Not sure what to post on social media right now? Is your business just getting over one shock announcement after another at the moment?
One thing I know is that your business needs to step up and be seen. Now more than ever people are on their phones and they are looking for hope and opportunity so you must take the time to add value.
Keep posting and connecting with your audience. So many other businesses will stop altogether and when this crisis ends (because it will!) and people staring getting back to ‘normal’ (whatever that will look like!) it will be you they remember and buy from.
Here are 10 things you can do:
1. Turn off any auto-scheduled posts or stop running any ads that may seen irrelevant (at best) and insensitive (at worst). Normally, I would recommend scheduling content in advance but as the situation changes every hour, what you considered a good idea last night might be irrelevant the next day.
2. Don’t avoid the C-shaped elephant in the room on your social media channels. But don’t fuel fear with misinformation either. Choose to be reassuring, informative, inspiring, or even amusing. Whatever your audience needs from you right now. Ask your audience what they need. In times of crisis, people need generosity and this helps build a community around your brand.
3. Use your existing content, or expertise, to be genuinely helpful. Avoid being seen to be capitalising on Covid-19 but do not shy away from promoting you and your business in a way that is going to add value, i.e. tips, advice, strategy.
4. If people normally find your content organically via your website, then consider utilising a chatbot pop up or side bar that will direct them to additional information rather than completely changing your website content.
5. In China, the usage of Douyin (Chinese TikTok) has grown by 102%. While people are at home they are trying to keep up with what is going on and are continuously searching content on social media so keep your content relevant and informative.
6. It is so noisy on social media right now! To cut through the noise, consider delivering some of your content via Facebook Lives or boosting posts. Consider a social media audit to find ways to stand out above all the Covid-19 noise.
7. Consider creating a lead magnet (quiz, cheat sheet, ebook, etc) that you can use on social media. Chatbots are a quick and simple way to deliver a lead magnet without having to create a landing page and email responder.
8. Sell your products/services – you are not being ‘insensitive’! If we stop buying from each other then we are just contributing to the economic crisis. People still want what you have to offer, you may just have to package it up a little differently! Check out these free downloads of how to create 30 days of content and ideas on how to create content
9. Now is the time to be innovative and creative. What the world needs most right now is leaders and innovators (that’s you!). Take the time to think about how can you pivot what you offer to suit the changing climate.
And lastly, if you are in lock down like the rest of us here in New Zealand and really struggling for content to keep your audience engaged, then create conversations and connections with my fun #covidcopingclub social media challenge for the month of April. Remember, we are all in this together.